Below is our recent interview with Randhir Shinde, CEO at Galaxkey:
Q: Could you provide our readers with a brief introduction to Galaxkey?
A: Galaxkey is an encryption platform that provides data protection.
Based on our powerful encryption platform: Galaxkey helps its customers do three things
We Secure Emails – Simple to use email encryption to protect and control entire emails: message, attachments and files with robust security features.
We Secure Documents – Protects files when sharing, at rest and in storage, irrespective of type and size. Letting you safeguard your confidential data in a compliant way.
We provide Secure Collaboration – Share and collaborate securely with teams of internal and external users. Your data is always protected and under your control.
Q: Can you give us insights into your products?
A: Galaxkey platform was build with an idea of giving complete control to corporates to protect data and also manage their own encryption keys. If you control your keys you control your own data. With this in mind, we created the platform to provide product solutions for email encryption, file encryption and Galaxkey Workspace. It has been two decades since there have been many encryption platforms in the marketplace, but the adoption is very low. The main reason for the low adoption is due to a simple fact – encryption requires mathematical keys to encrypt data. The process of managing keys and at the same time making the usability simple is clearly missing. Hence companies are finding it very difficult to embrace encryption to secure their communications. Galaxkey product is “a platform that provides the highest level of encryption with the simplest usability interface”. We take the pain out completely.
Q: You’re using a proprietary three-layered encryption architecture based on an onion model. What exactly is it and how does it work?
A: Traditionally all encryption products are based on encrypting data and then storing the keys which are managed either by the encryption vendor or by some key management system. Galaxkey has devised a unique way to encrypt data using three layers of encryption and adding identity to the outer most layer which ensures the data is encrypted for a specific individual. When data is provided to encrypt, it is first encrypted by using a pseudorandom key generated each time uniquely. The encrypted file is then encrypted using an identity key which is unique for a user. The third layer provides security to the users identity using the user identifiable challenge or using HSMs.
Q: Can you provide some real world use-cases of your products?
A: We cannot name all our customers due to confidentiality but they include large councils, health trusts, airport authorities and high net worth private equity fund managers.
Q: How do you compare to your competitors? What makes you unique?
A: There are six points that give Galaxkey a differentiator to our competitors
1. Usability – Galaxkey provides a simple user experience to allow end-users to secure emails and documents without the need to exchange multiple keys and passwords.
2. Ubiquitous – The Galaxkey product provides encryption for emails as well as files with the same product across multiple platforms. The same encryption platform is used for Galaxkey Workspace.
3. Compliance – Utilising Galaxkey’s full set of features helps companies remain compliant. Data is controlled, referenced, timed, and fully auditable ticking boxes for GDPR and other international data requirements.
4. Key Management – Galaxkey is the only platform which lets you have complete control of the encryption keys. There are no backdoors.
5. No passwords stored – The Galaxkey platform designed so that we do not store any passwords in any format. So, users have complete control of their keys and their data.
6. Three layered encryption – The encryption model of Galaxkey based on FIPS 140-2 three-layered onion model, making it practically impossible to access the encrypted data without proper access rights and authentication.
Q: What can we expect from Galaxkey in the future?
A: Galaxkey has a very strong roadmap. We are coming with some really niche security features to help users with breaches which are caused by human errors. Galaxkey has also signed up with Yoti to provide a digital identification based authentication to the platform. So when someone sends you an encrypted email or document and if he has signed with Yoti, you know for sure that its the person is the right one as he has to authenticate using his biometrics.