Below is our recent interview with Limor Schweitzer, Founder and CEO of MOV.AI:
Q: Could you provide our readers with a brief introduction to MOV.AI?
A: Mov.AI is a startup developing, an Artificial Intelligence software framework that turns any human-operated material handling machine into autonomous intelligent collaborative robots. Demand for collaborative robots is growing exponentially across all industrial sectors. More specifically, workers performing repetitive tasks are being replaced with robots to make better use of their talents and expertise to do perform more complicated tasks, leaving the monotonous tasks to robots. As MOV.AI, we meet an urgent market need for making autonomous collaborative robots more cost-effective. All automation hardware traditionally comes with proprietary software which has a high development and maintenance cost to the manufacturer and a high integration cost to the operator. We address these issues by allowing enterprises to run our licensed robot control and fleet management software on various types of affordable automation hardware.
Q: Tell us more about your technology. How does it work?
A: MOV.AI provides robot developers and automation integrators with a software development platform that saves on average 10 man-years of work when developing a new robot for garbage collection, floor scrubbing, or material handling.
MOV.AI runs on top of ROS, which is the leading open source middleware for robotics research with a fellowship of roughly 100k developers. Since ROS is designed for prototype development, we as MO.AI complement ROS by providing various industrial-grade features, including:
● Fleet management for coordinating hundreds of heterogeneous robots work towards shared goals, easily scaling from 1 to 1000 robots of various types that can be controlled by a single operator.
● Modern UI – We provide all software development tools, dev-ops, and end-user panels without the need to leave the browser. This also ensures various access levels to the entire robot fleet.
● Robust sensor-fusion localization to ensure that the robots know exactly where they are.
● Comprehensive navigation and path planning which allows the operator to configure the paths, workflows, coordination, and human-robot collaboration features.
● Safety, since MOV.AI enables manufacturers, integrators, and operators to navigate complex mazes in mixed robot environments while ensuring human safety.
● Software Lifecycle by providing tools to manage software upgrades with new features, “apps” and security patches without disrupting deployed mission-critical robots.
In short, MOV.AI enables autonomous robots to work side by side and together with humans allowing the enterprise to gradually transition from human operation for most of the physical work to “lights out” complete automation.
Q: What makes you the best choice? What’s your superpower?
A: MOV.AI is an operating system (dubbed the Android for autonomous collaborating robots) that provides the brains for collaborative robots.
For manufacturers of material handling robots, obtaining a MOV.AI license is a sensible option since it provides a great alternative to hiring a team of experts for many years to come for developing a proprietary robotic operating system. Such a team must have in-depth expertise in many fields including dev-ops, safety, full-stack UI/X, app store, mechatronics, and robotics. That’s why MOV.AI separates hardware from software and allows manufacturers to quickly launch autonomous machines while concentrating on unique hardware to perform specific human tasks.
Q: What kinds of products can be powered by your operating system?
A: Since MOV.AI runs on top of ROS and Linux, it can power any autonomous intelligent collaborative robot or fleets of heterogeneous automatons including all kinds of mobile robots, conveyors, cameras, and robot arms.
Q: What’s next for MOV.AI? Do you have plans to grow, expand or diversify?
A: MOV.AI will continue to create an ecosystem where developers, integrators, and manufacturers collaborate to produce smart robots on a large commercial scale for the long tail of industrial operation and production. The plan is to position MOV.AI as the ultimate software for any kind of automation as the world embraces the technology not only in industrial settings but also in hospitality, public, and commercial sectors.
A world with MOV.AI will be a world where companies of any size, including SMBs, will be able to realize a massive automation overhaul. We are now expanding from Europe to the Far East and North America. We are also planning to present our world-changing concept at ROSCon/IROS exhibitions in October this year.